Sunday, June 29, 2014

Chrissy Zebby Tembo & Ngozi Family - My Ancestors 1974 (Zambia)



Paul Ngozi and Chrissy Zebby Tembo jamin' hard n HEAVY African style! yeah ..

Ja maan it's Afrika time.. Jokes aside we have a killer blast for July.. Well most African music is often funk och ethnic based and most of us gringos have little interest in that, so I didn't have high hopes for this album.. Well , we've all by now heard Witch and Amanaz both Heavy raw and damn good. Well I saw this album with this funky cool cat ghetto hombre on the cover and I thought.. pass.. that funk stuff doesn't fly with me (not my bag) Well I actually heard a song from the album by chance (Fisherman) and I was blown away by the raw Heavy basement sound and raw wild fuzz lead guitar courtesy of Paul Ngozi.. So intriged by this song I took to explore more n by crikey this album delivered the goods in a grand way and has been my most played album for a while now. The heavy crude basement sound, raw fuzz leads and great catchy song writing make this a keeper, Drummer/singer Chrissy Zebby Tembo sounds aprox like  an Afrikan Ozzy Osbourne that actually can sing! Must be heard to to be believed. It's his natural style. Best songs here are Fisherman, Troublemaker and Coffinmaker.. But the others are good and well crafted aswell. For me this is the top Zamrock album I have heard.. Yep they are from Zambia. Have an enjoyable blast folks!





4 comments:

  1. Very heavy african garage-psych with raw fuzz leads and 1 song really sounds like a more psychedelic and african version of early Sabbath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prior to the internet, ignorantly assumed certain styles of music were fixed by their geographical location and I am so glad that assumption was blown away by the sheer incendiary power of albums like this.

    Many thanks for such a great share.

    ReplyDelete